Tuesday, September 26, 2006
Stay For Awhile
On Friday afternoon, I was reading the paper just before it was time to pick up Perry from school and I read that Amy Grant was in concert in town tonight with the KC Symphony.

What?! Tonight?

Wait. My brother was supposed to look into getting us tickets for her concert since he was a symphony season ticket holder. Where were my tickets? Did he forget about me? Why was I not going?

My P. Floyd lovin' man went to see Wynonna Judd with me who performed with the symphony last year. He loved it... I loved it... we secretly became closet Wynonna fans that night. And we also became symphony fans and couldn't wait to see Amy Grant with the symphony.

I called my brother and he just plum forgot that Amy Grant was performing tonight. He had tickets and he couldn't use them either as he was participating in a bbq contest. Would I want his tickets? Why yes I would! So in just an hour's time, I called my parents to watch Perry, packed Perry's little suitcase, picked him up from school, changed out of my play clothes, called my husband to hurry home, dropped Perry off, picked up my brother's tickets and away we went for a Friday night out. A date to the symphony!

It was wonderful! She began the evening with a song from 1986 - Stay For Awhile. And it took me back to 1986 - I was so young back then. And then the evening just got better and better. Saved by Love, House of Love, Big Yellow Taxi, Baby Baby and even some Gershwin thrown in for the symphony crowd who was sitting there wondering who "that chick with the guitar was up on stage."

After a full 2 hours of her wonderful voice (that hasn't changed a bit in the last 25 years), while throwing in stories about her family, friends, love and power, she left us with a nugget for life and its evolving ways.. especially for those of us who have reached the 40's. She talked about how she had trouble looking into the mirror every morning. Hair graying; wrinkles forming. But on the advice of her minister, she is looking into the mirror every morning and saying, ‘Woman, you are made in the image of God. I may be puffy and gray, but I’m the light of the world anyway.” She said "It feels so good to be right in the middle of life."

And I would have to agree with her.

  posted at 2:45 AM
  Comments (2)


2 Comments:
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Oh Lori, I'm so glad you got to go! It sounds wonderful. Isn't it amazing how a song can transport us back in time instantly? Great life lesson, too - one we should all do our best to remember!

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Lori--this was a really nice post. Well-written, good thoughts, and I'm so glad that you were spontaneous!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lori

Location: Missouri

I'm a 40-something gal living life in my comfort zone. I'm a wife to Phil and a mother to our 9-year old son, Perry.

Recent Posts

More Than You Need to Know About Me

Friends in Real Life

Books I Read in 2007

Books I'm Reading in 2008

TV Shows I Love To Watch

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:

Miscellaneous

Search