Wednesday, September 13, 2006
The Family Man
About a week ago, my hubby forwarded me an email that was sent to him from a head hunter. It was a position within a company that he is very familiar with, and he certainly would be qualified. So when we got home I asked him about it and whether or not he was thinking about contacting the head hunter. He said he was because it would be a challenging position, and would really gain him new insights and experiences in his career. He is a very driven man, and I could just see him pursuing this position to advance his career.

Fast forward to yesterday and I asked him while we were getting ready for work if he had contacted the head hunter, and he tells me that he was too busy and just did not have time. I felt my eyes begin to roll... it seems my husband runs out of time for things very easily. Especially when he is working. My husband is not a multi-tasker. Truly, I don't expect him to be because that is a woman's exclusive quality. But he couldn't remember to call about an exciting opportunity because he was just too busy?

But then it is what he says next (as I thankfully had remained quiet) that just amazes me. I emphasize that I remained quiet because what I wanted to say to him was "I can't believe you didn't call him, you can't take care of one little thing, blah, blah, blah" And then the conversation would have been over.

But again, I remained quiet and he told me that he had been really thinking about this position. And even though it sounded very exciting and challenging, it would also mean a whole new level of work ethic. He would be working very long days... longer than what he is already used to. He would also have to be traveling a lot more, and on an international level. He felt that it may involve meetings and tours in Asia and other places abroad. And he didn't really feel as if that was the position for him at this time. He did not want to be away from us for long periods, especially now that Perry is so involved in organized sports. And I knew he was thinking that he would have to give up golfing with Perry on Wednesday afternoons after school. Give up going to the community center to work out - just a lot of things we do now as a family.

And because I remained quiet, he blew me away. Other positions will come to him, and it could be the right one, at the right time. But until then, I know his position is with his family And almost 12 years later, he has made his family his priority and for that I am forever grateful.


WW Update: -2.6 lbs for a total loss of 35.6 lbs.

  posted at 10:30 PM
  Comments (2)


2 Comments:
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've always thought that of your man, too. You are very lucky (as is he).

I have those "I'm really glad I stayed quiet" moments, too! I wonder what else he might say if I stayed quiet more often.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Oh, how wonderful. I remember hearing something on Focus on the Family a few years ago, telling men like they will always feel like one area of their lives is being short-changed. And how it's far better to short-change your career than to short-change your family. I'm so glad he made that decision. Good man you have there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lori

Location: Missouri

I'm a 40-something gal living life in my comfort zone. I'm a wife to Phil and a mother to our 9-year old son, Perry.

Recent Posts

More Than You Need to Know About Me

Friends in Real Life

Books I Read in 2007

Books I'm Reading in 2008

TV Shows I Love To Watch

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:

Miscellaneous

Search