Sunday, August 27, 2006
"Our Town"
The other day, Perry asked me if he could bring along his new Cars CD with us - no, not the 80's band that I danced to back in my younger days - but the new Disney Cars CD. He got it into his head that he wanted to listen to his new CD in the car while we were running errands. I relunctantly agreed knowing that I would have to remember to pop it out of the car CD player later. Bedtime will come... I'll be tucking him in... saying goodnight, and then he'll need his CD and darn if it isn't down in the car! But like I said, I agreed to sacrifice listening to his music and not my own. What I didn't realize though was that he was going to make my heart melt right there in that car. As soon as I placed the CD in its slot, Perry was instructing me to "go to 5, go to 5, mom." Okay, I'll go to 5 thinking that his new favorite song "Life is a Highway"was just that one and he couldn't wait for me to listen to it with him. But I pressed #5, and it was this beautiful song performed by James Taylor called "Our Town." A beautiful slow song about life in a small town. As we are listening to this beautiful song, I looked back at him staring out the window, eyes shining as he is enjoying the view of his little town, and I melt. Tears start to form in my eyes as I learn right then and there that he is that tender-hearted, old soul that is affected by music just like his mama. Music has always affected me - still does. If I hear a song that moves me, I will listen to that song over and over. Thank goodness for iPods as I now listen to moving songs over and over and over... Songs that move me - just like that song "Our Town" did for Perry. When it was over, he says to me "Mama, isn't that a pretty song?" Oh yes, it is indeed. Thank you for letting me listen to that song, Perry, and thank you for being the wonderful and inspiring 7-1/2 year old that you have grown to be.

  posted at 9:08 PM
  Comments (1)


1 Comments:
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Lori--I know that you don't think of yourself as a writer, but this is beautiful. I know that Perry gets much of that sweet spirt from you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lori

Location: Missouri

I'm a 40-something gal living life in my comfort zone. I'm a wife to Phil and a mother to our 9-year old son, Perry.

Recent Posts

More Than You Need to Know About Me

Friends in Real Life

Books I Read in 2007

Books I'm Reading in 2008

TV Shows I Love To Watch

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:

Miscellaneous

Search