Thursday, September 21, 2006
Fall Into Reading Challenge


I have decided to join my friend Katrina's Fall Into Reading Challenge over at Callapidder Days because it sounds like a lot of fun. I feel as if I'm reading all the time, but this challenge is making me accountable to finish the books that I actually start.... especially the non-fiction ones. I will hear or read about a book that sounds exactly like what I'm needing at the time, get a couple chapters into it, and decide that I feel tons better and don't need to improve upon that certain thing that I thought needed improving. So I move along to another book that at the time sounds like it's exactly what I'm needing.

Let me give you an example... 2 months ago I believed that I lacked self-confidence - as if I had absolutely
no self-confidence. So I bought this book - just knowing that in 30 days I was going to see an improvement in myself. Five days into the book, I felt that I was living fearlessly and did not finish it. Why I figured that I have all the self-confidence in the world, I really have no idea. So I will put that book back on my list, and will complete it. Of course, you may figure out that there are other books that will help me with my self-confidence. Ones that may be of more value for my Christian walk. If so, I gladly will entertain those titles... and even add them to my challenge.


Non-Fiction books are tough for me to read... I'm more of a Fiction reader - loving to escape. So I'm going to only list 4 books for Non-Fiction - that to me is a stretch.

Non-Fiction:
Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver
Change Your Life in 30 Days: A Journey to Find Your True Self by Rhonda Britten
Simple Hospitality Saw this on Katrina's sidebar... read about it and bought it.
Love You, Mean It: A True Story of Love, Loss and Friendship by four young women widowed when their husbands were killed on the 9/11 attack


I love Fiction books - constantly have a book with me at all times to pick up and read whenever and wherever. My aunt (who is also a lover of books) just this summer told me about 2 very enjoyable books to read by Debbie Macomber... The Shop on Blossom Street and A Good Yarn. It was just a series of 2 books, but for some reason I devoured these 2 books quickly and wanted so much more. What a delight it was to read these 2 books... a total escape from the challenges of work and parenting. I even entertained the idea of learning to knit after reading these books, but slowly I snapped back to reality and decided that was just
not happening at this time of my life. So now, like I did with the Jan Karon Mitford series years ago, I'm devouring the Debbie Macomber Cedar Cove series. I have read the first 2 books in her series of 6 books. In my reading challenge, I will try and finish the last 4 books in the series, along with my book club's book.

Fiction:
311 Pelican Court by Debbie Macomber - I'm in the middle of this book right now
44 Cranberry Point by Debbie Macomber
50 Harbor Street by Debbie Macomber
6 Rainier Drive by Debbie Macomber
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen - my book club's book for November


Books to Read with Perry:
Magic Tree House - Books 9 - 12 We just finished reading the first 8 and loved them. He reads them to me for about 15 minutes, then reads them independently for the next 15 minutes before going to bed. They are a fun children's series for his age.

I'm looking forward to this challenge - especially finishing the non-fiction.

What's on your list?


  posted at 9:19 AM
  Comments (7)


7 Comments:
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My list is up! I had to LOL about you wanting to knit. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in book world that I think the same sort of thing.

And my non-fiction is the same as you, although I really like nonfiction. It just doesn't propel me to finish and wrap it up, like fiction, so I'm hoping to finsh these books. I have a lot of books on my list, so I'm not sure if I'll really finish them all or not. We'll see.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Oh Lori, I am exactly like that with non-fiction. I love to buy it...and read it...just can't finish it. Great list, by the way. Camden loves the Magic Treehouse books, too.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger twiga92 said...

I loved Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World. I hope you enjoy it. I found it very good.

 
At 3:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simple Hospitality is a great little read, a lot packed into it. I have been wanting to read the Joanna Weaver one for a while, I must come back and see what you thought of it. enjoy.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

The Joanna Weaver book is good. :) And I've not read Debbie MacComber, but you have me intrigued!! :) Good list. :)

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Susanne said...

Looks like you're new! Welcome to blogland! Love the name of your site!

Is that a series in your non-fiction list? It looks very interesting. And I can so relate to your non-fiction reading habits. :vP

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Mary Heart in Martha World is on my list, too! This is a great list and I share some of your book interests. Happy Reading!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lori

Location: Missouri

I'm a 40-something gal living life in my comfort zone. I'm a wife to Phil and a mother to our 9-year old son, Perry.

Recent Posts

More Than You Need to Know About Me

Friends in Real Life

Books I Read in 2007

Books I'm Reading in 2008

TV Shows I Love To Watch

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:

Miscellaneous

Search