Sunday, April 06, 2008
Lessons Learned on a Baseball Field
Who knew that my post on Thursday would bring comments from many readers - some I didn't even know that read my blog. As well as the comments left on my blog, I also received private emails from friends and family - all of them which have served its purpose - to support and encourage me in this journey of being a mom.

Oh how sweet it is!

First lesson learned in this drama I call "parenting"? Let your son fight his own battles. This is not the last time that Perry will have an argument with Blake, or any other kid for that matter. They are boys - and this is where they exert their "male-ness."

Second lesson - Perry and Blake got over it - by the next day - and are back to being good friends. Kids are resilient and get over things so much faster than their parents mom.

Third lesson - Apologize for your mistakes. I slowly walked to Christina's house next door on Friday morning and admitted that I yelled at Blake and was very sorry for my actions. She knew about it. She understood. She said that she lives with boys arguing on a daily basis and if she were to referee and yell at her boys every single time they were in a fight, she would get nothing done, and she would have no voice. Thank you God for good friends who will accept your apology and won't hold it against you.

Fourth lesson - Just because the calendar says it's April, baseball season has begun, and the sun is shining outside, it is still cold here in the midwest and you must dress like you are watching a football game. We froze watching Perry play baseball yesterday... and will do so again today. But I won't forget my stadium blanket today!

Fifth lesson - leave the game at the field.

Thanks again to so many friends and family who are honest and encouraging to me. I really appreciate all of your responses. They were really helpful and I will be going back to all of them when this happens again.

I think I will bind them up in a mini-notebook so that I can look at them all the time!

Next time I get myself into a pickle, I'll know where to turn.

Proverbs 21: 23 He who guards his mouth and his tongue, keeps himself from calamity.

Labels:


  posted at 8:30 PM
  Comments (4)


4 Comments:
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Great lessons, Lori -- ones we can *all* apply, and will need to...repeatedly! So glad everything blew over with Blake and Perry. I know I've told myself more than once -- Just give it 24 hours and see how things stand then. While I'm getting worked up, the kids are forgetting it all. :)

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Rach said...

Will you write all this stuff down for me when the "mama bear" comes out in me?

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Beth Wright (P31 OBS Team Member) said...

Lori- I didn't get to comment on the other post- as a mama of two boys- two baseball boys at that- I feel your pain!!! Glad that others were able to provide such great advice- believe me, I read the comments with an eye open for learning!!

We are freezing at our games here too. One day it's 75 then games come and it's in the 50s.

Love the verse!!! I need to post that on my bathroom mirror!!!

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's really great. It's equally wonderful that you asked, listened, and learned from your own experience and those of others.

THAT's what motherhood is all about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lori

Location: Missouri

I'm a 40-something gal living life in my comfort zone. I'm a wife to Phil and a mother to our 9-year old son, Perry.

Recent Posts

More Than You Need to Know About Me

Friends in Real Life

Books I Read in 2007

Books I'm Reading in 2008

TV Shows I Love To Watch

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:

Miscellaneous

Search