Thursday, January 24, 2008
Get Well Austin
Today I went to visit my good friend and next door neighbor Christina's youngest boy - Austin - at the hospital on my lunch break.

Austin was taken to the ER early Wednesday morning with terrible congestion, a horrible cough and just all around having a hard time breathing. Trying to get his oxygen level up to a "normal" level is tougher on him. You see, Austin has CDG. I've written about him here. When Austin was around 6 months old, he was taken to our local children's hospital and diagnosed with CDG - Congenital Disorders of Glycosylation. It is a very rare disorder (maybe only 200 cases ever) and most children with this disorder are not even diagnosed properly. Austin has been doing amazing for all he has to go through, and this has literally been his first hospitalization since his diagnosis - and he is now almost 3 years old. Austin's two older brothers are Perry's closest friends and we treat them all as family.

One of my life changes for this year was to listen to God's voice (sometimes also just my gut feeling), to engage in small changes in my life, and to also remember that this life is not about me.

Going to see Christina and Austin today, bringing her lunch from her favorite deli that is just around the corner from my work, and giving her a hug of encouragement and friendship brightened my day. It isn't all about me - and I like it that way.

******************************************************************

Overheard at dinner last night ~

Me - "Do you have to be out of town the second week of February?"

Phil - "I'm out of town here and here, and back in town for Friday and I'm mystery reader that day in Perry's class."

Me - "Umm - hello - you don't have to mention this out loud - hence the word 'mystery'."

Phil - "Oh yeah - Um Perry - don't tell anybody in your class."

Labels:


  posted at 7:00 PM
  Comments (3)


3 Comments:
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Hey!! I've missed seeing you on here. I think it's wonderful that you were able to go visit this family. I'll bet it was a blessing to them.

Hugs,

Susan

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Oh, poor Austin. I hope he's feeling better soon. I can't believe he's almost 3 already!

And I got a good giggle out of Phil's slip-up. That sounds like a conversation that might take place at our house!

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Too funny about the mystery reader.

I am so bad about following through on those impulses, so I applaud you for that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lori

Location: Missouri

I'm a 40-something gal living life in my comfort zone. I'm a wife to Phil and a mother to our 9-year old son, Perry.

Recent Posts

More Than You Need to Know About Me

Friends in Real Life

Books I Read in 2007

Books I'm Reading in 2008

TV Shows I Love To Watch

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:

Miscellaneous

Search