Thursday, June 21, 2007
We Coulda' Been Sisters
My good friend and co-worker in crime, Janna and I have been mistaken for sisters. It pretty much started just after she became a mother. She is a young mother - still just at 30 - with two adorable daughters. We go to lunch together just about every day I work and at least once a month, if not more, we are always asked by servers, cashiers, nail technicians... you name it... if we are sisters.

No, we say - we're just co-workers.

But not too long ago the unthinkable happened.

It was mid-afternoon and we were on the elevator going down to the deli to get an apple chocolate chip cookie to nibble on get us through the rest of the day. All of a sudden, another gal jumped on the elevator with us and commented on how much we look alike.

"Yeah - we get that all the time!" we regale with laughter. She's so cute and sweet to say that to us!

And then she said...

Wait for it...

Are you mother and daughter?

And she was serious.

Dead serious.

We laughed and yee-hawed and commented that we were just co-workers in the research department, all nice and silly like we are.

But then she hopped off the elevator onto her floor. The elevator doors shut with nary a sound between us and her.

And I started cussing her out crying.

I really did neither, but it has been a source of turmoil when I do see her wandering the halls. What a poor, pitiful, young thing she is to think that I'm old enough to be a mother of my 30-year old co-worker. I would have had a bun in the oven in junior high if I had a daughter her age. In junior high, sister.

The only thing I was most concerned about in junior high was who I was going to sit next to on the church bus on the way to the roller skating rink.

Again, I ask... Does anyone know where I can buy a t-shirt that states "Don't Talk to Me" that I can wear when I am around people who like to ask personal questions? I'm willing to pay even bigger bucks for it right now. It happens to me all the time!

Labels:


  posted at 2:21 PM
  Comments (6)


6 Comments:
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Rach said...

Lori, I am laughing out loud! Tht is SOOOO funny. Okay, well not that funny, but I can just imagine your response! You girls look like sisters...NOT mother and daughter.

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was looking at your pictures before I got to the mean part thinking, "They do look like sisters." Yes, I thought sisters. Not even the hip youngish aunt. Certainly not mother and daughter. Shake it off.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Beth Wright (P31 OBS Team Member) said...

aw Lori- sorry about that. No way you'd every pass for mother/daughter!! But you do look like the georgeous slightly older sister!!!

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Lisa M said...

You definitely don't look old enough to be her mother. Was the lady on the elevator wearing glasses? If not, she should be. LOL! You two do look a lot alike though.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Oh, Lori...that girl was delusional or blind or both. No way do you look like mother and daughter! Love the pic, though -- you two do look alike.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Oh my goodness, this made me laugh. It's true that there seems to be this "line" we cross that suddenly makes us "seem" older when we feel so young inside. For me, it was realizing that I am now colleagues with many of the kids that could have been in my elementary classroom during the first years I worked. AGH.

yes, I think you look more like sisters than MOther/Daughter. My goodness. I'll bet that lady wanted to crawl under a rock.

:-) Susan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lori

Location: Missouri

I'm a 40-something gal living life in my comfort zone. I'm a wife to Phil and a mother to our 9-year old son, Perry.

Recent Posts

More Than You Need to Know About Me

Friends in Real Life

Books I Read in 2007

Books I'm Reading in 2008

TV Shows I Love To Watch

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:

Miscellaneous

Search