Monday, June 18, 2007
Examples of a Father
As Father's Day came to a close, I sit here thinking about the many examples of a father I have in my life.... and how I got to experience them yesterday.


First of all, there is my father. What I most appreciate about my father is that he has been my mother's solid rock for over 44 years. Having gone through the trials that life has handed her... breast cancer, macular degeneration of the eyes and a significant hearing loss, her optimism has never diminished. And my father has stood by her through thick and thin. He never wavers as she plans her day, knowing full well that he will accompany her, driving her anywhere she wants to go, and never once complaining. And I think a great example of my father, is that he puts his wife first, his family second and his interests third. That's my dad.

***************************
Secondly, there is my husband. From the very first minute he became a father, he took on his role like he had been doing it for years. Since I ended up having a c-section after not progressing in labor, I was taken to recovery after the surgery. During this time, Phil stayed with Perry and never left his side. From watching them measure and weigh him, bathe and dress him, check all his vitals, he knew from that moment on that this little boy had stolen his heart. Phil wrote his brother a letter a week after Perry was born that the first hour-and-a-half he spent with him right after he was born was the sweetest hour-and-a-half of his entire life. He talked to Perry the entire time he was with him. Whether Perry was crying or cooing, he just kept telling him how much he loved him and how glad he was that he could finally meet him. Perry and Phil have a special bond.

One that a momma will never be able (or want) to separate.

I rode along with them in the golf cart later on Father's Day afternoon. While watching them play golf, I noticed their very special "golf language." Perry listens to him so intently. And Phil leads him by example.
He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.

~Clarence B. Kelland~

*************************************

And the third example of an extremely hands-on father that I got to experience today is my baby brother - who is now a father to a precious baby girl. As I watched these 2 youngsters get hitched 5 years ago in Vegas, I would have never imagined that their life would ever include being parents. Oh, I always knew they would someday settle down eventually. But the love that they have for Ainsley is amazing. And they are indeed wonderful parents... and Brad is showing himself to be a great father.


I thank my heavenly Father today for the examples of a father that He has given to me in my life.

These are men of integrity that will help lead my son to be a man of integrity.

Proverbs 23:24
The father of a righteous man has great joy;
he who has a wise son delights in him.

Labels:


  posted at 10:17 AM
  Comments (7)


7 Comments:
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Beth Wright (P31 OBS Team Member) said...

Lori- wow what great examples! I LOVE the quote under the golf picture!!!

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Lisa M said...

I loved your tribute to your Dad, husband, and brother. Sounds like you, like me, had a lot to be thankful for on Father's day. :)

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Really beautiful, Lori. I was hoping that you would reflect on this topic. I know how great Phil is, but I loved you sharing about your dad and brother. Cute baby!

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Susan said...

These are great examples. I love that your Dad has stuck by your Mom through so much. What an example of a Godly man. And the precious picture of the baby with your brother is just priceless.

:-) Susan

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Rach said...

What a great Father's Day post! I am so looking forward to watching K grow as a father.

P.S. You better be calling me to tell me your secret!

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

What a sweet tribute to three wonderful Dads! Thanks for sharing this.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Lori- I loved reading this! All the pictures are great. You are blessed with some wonderful men in your life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lori

Location: Missouri

I'm a 40-something gal living life in my comfort zone. I'm a wife to Phil and a mother to our 9-year old son, Perry.

Recent Posts

More Than You Need to Know About Me

Friends in Real Life

Books I Read in 2007

Books I'm Reading in 2008

TV Shows I Love To Watch

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:

Miscellaneous

Search