Thursday, June 14, 2007
Karen's Unbelievable Dessert
Since Father's Day is this weekend, I have decided to post a recipe that is THE recipe to my husband's heart. He just loves this yummy dessert.

A little background on this dessert...

My good friend Karen, whom I have known for 15+ years, used to make this dessert all the time... especially when Phil and I started dating. Karen would always pull off the best bbq's, complete with all her yummy recipes - including this one. She knew the way to men's hearts were through their stomachs. She was always such an incredible cook and hostess back when our singles group was in full swing. I remember when Phil asked me out for a first date I seriously wondered why he asked me when all I would bring to the bbq were baked beans that I picked up at the grocery store deli, while Karen pulled out the big guns with her cooking.

It has been years since we had this dessert so I decided to try it again for my family's Memorial Day get-together. It was a hit. If you're having a large family gathering, make this... you'll be glad you did!

Oreo Cookie Ice Cream Dessert

30 Oreo Cookies
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 gallon Coffee Ice Cream (or any flavor), softened
(I love Mocha Almond Fudge)
1 large jar Hot Fudge Topping
1 Carton (16 oz.) Cool Whip

Crush cookies; do not remove cream. Reserve another 4 crushed cookies for the top. Mix rest with butter. Pat in 9x13" pan. Cover and freeze for 20 minutes. Spread ice cream on top. Cover and freeze 20 minutes. Spread fudge topping over ice cream. Cover and freeze 20 minutes. Spread cool whip on top; sprinkle with reserved cookie crumbs. Cover. Freeze overnight. Cut into small squares to serve.

This is a RICH dessert and so chocolatey and cold for a wonderful summer day!

Enjoy!

Labels: ,


  posted at 8:37 AM
  Comments (9)


9 Comments:
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Lisa M said...

This sounds absolutely delicious. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Sounds YUMMY!!!!!

I sometimes wish that my DH would eat desserts, but he doesn't. So I miss out on yummy dishes like this. On the other hand, it's better to taste them when we're out and about.

Thanks for sharing.

:-) Susan

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh yum. I first tried the coffee ice cream/oreo combo at Cold Stone. They put peanut butter in, too, and it's so good.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Mmm... Yum! That sounds delicious. Chad loves coffee ice cream and I will take anything with chocolate so this is bound to be a hit here. Thanks for the recipe!

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Oh good God, Lori! How many points?

Seriously, my husband will absolutely love it!

And since I haven't actually bought him anything yet, I should make this to appease him.

See you soon! mc

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Rach said...

Yummo! Now I can try the famous recipe.

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Lisa M said...

Lori ~ I tried this and it is so good! I let Evan pick out the ice cream and he wanted Breyer's Oreo ice cream. It really tasted great. We are still snacking on it.

Lisa

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Just wanted to update you, Lori -- I ended up making this Saturday night. Chad couldn't wait until Sunday, so we each had a piece and LOVED it. Then Chad took it to his parents' house for Sunday dinner and it was completely devoured. Everyone raved about it. So Thank You very much for this recipe. It was definitely a hit!

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So much for the old saying "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach." This recipe has gotten me nowhere. I'M STILL SINGLE! But thanks Lori for making me sound so wonderful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lori

Location: Missouri

I'm a 40-something gal living life in my comfort zone. I'm a wife to Phil and a mother to our 9-year old son, Perry.

Recent Posts

More Than You Need to Know About Me

Friends in Real Life

Books I Read in 2007

Books I'm Reading in 2008

TV Shows I Love To Watch

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:

Miscellaneous

Search