Saturday, April 21, 2007
Cashier Comments - Part Two

I know what you're thinking... "Part Two? Where's Part One?"

Well, let me fill you in...

Cashier Comments - Part One happened about a month ago and it side-swiped me so hard and so fast that I couldn't even sit down to write about it. I told Phil what happened as soon as I left the store and he couldn't believe it was said to me either. I couldn't either. And like I said it hit me so hard that I wasn't sure what to do with this statement, so I ignored it. And it went away.

And then it happened. Again. Today.

And I am just blind-sided again.

What makes cashiers want to talk to me? Do I have a look on my face that says "please speak to me and say something that I am not going to appreciate"?

Let me first start with Cashier Number One. A rather tired woman of mid-50's who was beginning to start ringing up my very few groceries as I was tossing them on the belt when she asked all matter of fact like if "I was in their Hyvee 50's Club." I slowly look up from my cart and with a dejected look told her "NO - DO I LOOK LIKE I AM?" To which she answered, no... but then said "but you never know anymore. Most people in their 50's do not look like they are 50 anymore." Yes, that's exactly what she said to me. And to let you in on a big secret - I am not even close to 50! I am 43 and I think look every bit of my 43, if not younger. (Humor me - let me say it - even if you don't believe me.)

And then just yesterday I was shopping at my favorite big red dot store and got in the check-out line. I gave Cashier Number Two all my purchases, but forgot one that was sitting in the cart portion underneath where my purse was sitting. As I was pushing the cart out of the aisle, she asks me if I was going to pay for my shoes. Oh my! I totally forgot about my sandals that I had placed in the cart and apologized over and over that I was planning on paying for them and would not have walked out with them. So she rings up the sandals, and then hands me a coupon at the end of the sale that came out of the cash register - $1 off a bag of Hershey's Kisses. I then give her a smile and say "Oh, I don't think I need any chocolate - I'm already scatter-brained enough as it is."

And then she replied...

Wait for it, wait for it...

"Want to know what helped me with my weight-loss efforts?"

I looked at her. Speechless. Remember, I said scatter-brained.

I don't remember asking her for weight-loss efforts, much less saying anything about trying to lose weight. (By the way, the weight loss efforts weren't helping her at all.)

So I stood there with a blank stare and listened to her tell me about her 53 weeks without soda, blah, blah, blah....

And then I just walked out to my car and dialed up Phil... again. Who again had to endure another one of my cashier dilemmas.

Does anyone know where I can buy a t-shirt that states "Don't Talk to Me" that I can wear when I go shopping? I'm willing to pay big bucks for it right now.

Have you ever had any unbelievable comments by cashiers you don't know? If so, indulge me. Let me know about them. I can't be the only one this happens to!

Labels:


  posted at 8:40 AM
  Comments (5)


5 Comments:
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are lying! This did not happen!

I might have been tempted to slap her in her newly thin-from-lack-of-eating-anything-but-air mouth!

I'll get a shirt for christmas, but it won't say "don't talk to me," it will be MUCH more graphic!

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Oh my goodness - I am so sorry that happened. And I can't believe a cashier would say those things to anyone! They should receive training in those areas! Cashiers don't usually talk much to me. I suppose I've perfected some kind of Very Mean Look that tells them they'll regret it if they dare to start a conversation with me. Or maybe we just live in a rather unfriendly part of the country. Either way, I'm just as happy that I can check out in relative quiet.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, those cashiers should just shut their mouths! I did have a friend who is VERY outspoken give a cashier a piece of her mind, because she made a comment about her being pregnant (when she was NOT) or something like that.

People need to learn some manners.

I'm sorry if she hurt your feelings. I think that you look great!

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Rach said...

I have to admit...I laughed out loud on the 50+ story. Who knew HyVee had such a club! :-) But the weight loss thing...I think i would have slapped her. Seriously.

 
At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to get a laugh at your expense. That's really assuming of both of them and totally inappropriate!!!

I did find you a shirt though!
http://www.cafepress.com/buy/Holidays+/+Occasions/-/pv_design_prod/p_1469316.47294851/pNo_47294851/id_10229078/?click=true&CMP=KNC-F-ALL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lori

Location: Missouri

I'm a 40-something gal living life in my comfort zone. I'm a wife to Phil and a mother to our 9-year old son, Perry.

Recent Posts

More Than You Need to Know About Me

Friends in Real Life

Books I Read in 2007

Books I'm Reading in 2008

TV Shows I Love To Watch

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:

Miscellaneous

Search