Thursday, October 05, 2006
Shades of Gray
Today's topic on a popular afternoon talk show was on aging gracefully. One of the guests on this show proclaimed that the coloring of your hair is the key ingredient in keeping your look much younger.

I agree.

I too color my hair - have been for years. Even before I really needed to. I can remember that many of my Saturday dateless nights in my 20's were spent begging my roommate at the time - Laurie - to please pull strands of my hair through a plastic slotted cap with a crochet hook. I wanted a good look for all the dates that I might have sooner or later.

Later on I learned that the fashionable way to color was to have it "foiled." And it made such a difference in my hair that I've never looked back since.

But here's the question - do you know anybody now who is NOT coloring their hair if they are going gray? I had to think long and hard about that one. It is the thing to do... and like I said I'm all for it. But, all of a sudden I did think of one mother right here in my own neighborhood full of young(er) than me moms. She has a thick head of hair - in a cute blunt cut - but it's full of gray. Tons of it.

I truly wonder why?

Especially since coloring can be bought inexpensively in a bottle at your local discount store... or even your supermarket, no less. And since so many people are fighting aging, why look older than you really are?

Considering that botox and lipodissolve are all the rage right now, I'm thinking that I'm making a good choice with coloring my hair. Coincidentally I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon at 2pm for a color and cut. I've been thinking about adding a bit of red with the highlights.

Now that sounds like aging with a twist.

  posted at 5:41 PM
  Comments (3)


3 Comments:
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I have to admit that I am seriously lazy when it comes to my hair - I haven't been to a hair salon in years. Seriously, I can't remember the last time I went... I cut my own hair and I don't color it - well, yet... I haven't seen any grays pop up yet...I'm sure my day is coming soon. I just can't seem to convince myself that I need to go get my hair done. I know most women enjoy going to have their hair done, but I don't. It stresses me out and I feel uncomfortable the whole time... so I make do with what I can do myself.

Anyway...on to your quesion. I know 2 women who are not covering their gray. They are beautiful women and honestly, the gray doesn't seem to change that - it somehow works for them. But I agree - there are very, very few people that don't cover. And once mine starts going, I'm sure I'll be browsing the hair color aisle at Target!

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Okay--yes, I'm lazy, too, like Katrina. I have never colored my hair, or highlighted. I do like the look of highlights, but add cheap to lazy as well for me.

I am starting to get more and more. It's not even "salted" yet (as in S&P), but I imagine that I will give up the $$ and the time when it comes.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Just D said...

I'm visting via BluebirdBlogs... I am 36 and quite gray. I don't color. I HATE seeing other women who color but have waited too long for a touch up and they have all those long roots - and I simply dont' have the time, energy, or money to upkeep often enough. I'd rather be naturally graying than to be unnaturally dual colored! I've colored once or twice and LOVED it, but can't stand the upkeep. My hair is pretty - very dark brown with gray strands running through, and I actually get carded more often than not so... I'm fine with it all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lori

Location: Missouri

I'm a 40-something gal living life in my comfort zone. I'm a wife to Phil and a mother to our 9-year old son, Perry.

Recent Posts

More Than You Need to Know About Me

Friends in Real Life

Books I Read in 2007

Books I'm Reading in 2008

TV Shows I Love To Watch

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:

Miscellaneous

Search