Wednesday, June 27, 2007
The Gag that Never Goes Away
This morning my son visited the dentist. It was his semi-annual time to clean the teeth.

However, I forgot to tell him before he went to bed last night that we would need to have this taken care of in the morning. When he got up this morning to get dressed, I just happened to casually mention that he had a dentist appointment, and that we needed to hurry a little quicker this morning so we could get out and get there on time.

He looked at me with that lowered left eyebrow, and then replied... "usually you tell me that I need to go to the dentist before... like yesterday... and you didn't tell me yesterday or anything."

Yes, you're right. I did forget to tell you. But let's be a good sport and just go ahead and get it done with.

What I failed to mention to him as we are hurriedly getting dressed is that when they called to remind me of my appointment yesterday, I told them that I needed more of an advance notice, so could they kindly give Perry my 8:30am appointment for today, and schedule me in a couple weeks later?

Yes, that's right. I fed my 8 year old son to the wolves dentist instead of me.

So after we hurriedly get out of the house, we run to Starbuck's for my caffeine ingestion and I let Perry order his favorite crumbleberry coffee cake for breakfast. Nothing goes better with a tall skim milk than a crumbleberry cake, and this is his favorite treat. Besides, I was making him go to the dentist in my place and all.

We arrive at the dentist and they take him immediately back. In the meantime, I have called his grandparents to come and pick him up at the dentist so that I can get to work. I was off yesterday, and very behind. They agreed and when they showed up, I asked if I could go back to see him and kiss him goodbye.

As soon as I got to the room, I could tell that all was not well. He was sitting up with a towel in his hand, tears in his eyes, and a very scared look on his face. The nurses looked up at me and told me that he just threw up as they were starting the sealant on his back teeth. They had just started with the first one and needed to complete that one and three more.

And his gag reflex just gave in and he didn't make it. He has a terrible gag reflux - just like his momma.

Fortunately the hygeniests are used to this kinda thing (so they told me). They even got the bowl in front of him just in the nick of time. And when I showed up, he was just cleaning up, and getting control of his "gagness." I'm afraid that crumbleberry coffee cake didn't feel so good coming out as it did going in.

And here's the most unbelievable thing... he wanted to finish the sealant. He didn't care if he just tossed his cake, he was going to get those teeth sealed, and he was going to do it right then and there. I kept asking him if he wanted to come back another day, but by golly no, he would have nothing of that. He called me from his grandparents after it was completed and he was good as gold.

I don't know about you, but if I had lost my breakfast in the dentist's chair, I'm thinking a sick day, followed by an evening on the couch would have been just divine. As they say... "milk it." But he went to his grandparents and then asked them to take him on to summer camp so he could go swimming this afternoon.

So I didn't win Mother of the Year today... and feeling pretty bad about it here at work this afternoon.

Do you think after his morning ordeal, I should give in and buy him that coveted Nintendo game he wants so bad? I'm kind of a sucker like that.

Labels:


  posted at 1:59 PM
  Comments (9)


9 Comments:
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Oh, what a brave soul. I have not been blessed with good teeth, even though I am a faithful brusher and flosser. And I'm also very well acquainted with the gag reflex. I double-double-hate getting my teeth cleaned. I'd honestly rather have a filling that endure all the scraping. God Bless him!

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Janis Rodgers said...

I would buy the Nintendo game. I hate the dentist and would rather do anything other than that. If I had thrown up, I would be embarrassed and would have to find a new dentist. Give him anything he wants. He deserves it!LOL

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Rach said...

Poor Perry! I remember those sealants and they are nasty...my momma put them on when she worked at the dentist office. Buy the game...after all you did make him go in your place!

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Beth Wright (P31 OBS Team Member) said...

Oh my! He sounds just like my boys. I have to make early A.M. appts for them and they can't eat before we got. I treat them to Burger King afterwards!

I say buy him the game! After all you did throw him to the wolves I mean dentist and all!!!

Luv ya girl!!

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Lisa M said...

Sounds like Perry was a real trooper. I would definitely get him the Nintendo game after going through that. I'd tell him how proud I was of him too! :)

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Susan said...

That poor thing! I don't like going to the dentist.

I hope you have a great day and that he is no worse for the wear...I suspect all is right in the world now...as it would be with most 8yo's.

:-) Hugs.

Susan

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Aw, Perry's such a trooper to stick it out and get the sealants finished. I am a major dentist-gagger, especially when they stick in the things to do x-rays. Ugh.

As for the game, well I'm well-known for buying my boys gifts when I feel bad for them, so I'm sure I'd do it if I were you. :)

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Janis Rodgers said...

Hi, Lori! You won the book giveaway over at my blog! Email me your information and I will get them right to you! jmrodg2@aol.com

Thanks and Congratulations!

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Poor Perry. No, you aren't the worst momma. You're fine. He's proving every day how you've raised him right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lori

Location: Missouri

I'm a 40-something gal living life in my comfort zone. I'm a wife to Phil and a mother to our 9-year old son, Perry.

Recent Posts

More Than You Need to Know About Me

Friends in Real Life

Books I Read in 2007

Books I'm Reading in 2008

TV Shows I Love To Watch

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:

Miscellaneous

Search