Thursday, February 15, 2007
Oh to be 30 Again

Today is about my friend Rachael. I have known her for what seems like a lifetime, but really maybe only several years. She was a senior in the youth group at the church we attended as I was dating Phil. We did not know each other at all, but I knew her mother and sister as her older sister and I were closer in age.

Fast forward a few years, and I am sitting in the nursery, rocking a baby while her mother caught up with all of the workers in the nursery. Her mother asks me where I work and then proceeds to beg me (and I do emphasize beg) to help Rachael find a job at the ad agency where I clock in a few days a week. She has just graduated from college with a degree in marketing and “she just has to get a job. I can’t have her living with me forever.”

Her mom is the lovely lady to the left in the picture above - Rachael is the young one on the right.

I explain to her mother that I don't have that much popularity prestige at work, but I’ll do my best.

Lucky for Rach, a job opened up just in time – and she would be perfect for it. I tell the two department heads about her and that she goes to church with me. Guys, it’s time to straighten your ways because I think you need to hire her. And they did. And yes, I did want her to work for them to appease her mother, but I'll admit it... I was also in it for the money. The $250 referral fee they pay employees here is a nice chunk of change.

Lucky for me that referral brought a friendship with it also.

It’s been a couple years since Rachael and I have worked together at the agency… she’s gone on to bigger and brighter pastures, but she has remained such a good friend to me. I was honored to help in the preparations of her wedding, as well as coordinate all the necessary details for the rehearsal and the wedding day. We scrapbook together, go to chick flicks on occasion, and compare HOTY's. Hers is winning right now... he is sending her to Florida for her birthday. But the year’s still young, girl!

She turns the big 3-0 today!

Happy Birthday Friend – enjoy your day and may all your years be as happy as the past 29!
Rachael and friends at her surprise 30th birthday party.
A Friend Is Like A Good Bra...
Hard to Find
Supportive
Comfortable
Always Lifts You Up
Never Lets You Down or Leaves You Hanging
And Is Always Close To Your Heart!

Labels:


  posted at 8:30 AM
  Comments (4)


4 Comments:
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

So sweet Lori.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Rach said...

I can't believe my mother begged...okay yes I can! But I am glad she did. And to think I am still working for one of those crazy guys. I am a glutten for punishment. Thanks for having an entry in your blog about me! That is SO nice of you. You are such a great friend.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Very sweet post. And though I don't know Rachael, I'd like to wish her a very Happy Belated Birthday, anyway. :)

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Irene said...

Lovely post! Wishing you all the very best.
And your discription of a good friend, made me laugh. So clever and true! Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lori

Location: Missouri

I'm a 40-something gal living life in my comfort zone. I'm a wife to Phil and a mother to our 9-year old son, Perry.

Recent Posts

More Than You Need to Know About Me

Friends in Real Life

Books I Read in 2007

Books I'm Reading in 2008

TV Shows I Love To Watch

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:

Miscellaneous

Search