Friday, January 26, 2007
Star Student
Well, it finally happened... Perry came home from school on Monday afternoon after I picked him up from a long day at work and informed me that Mrs. K told him that he was Star Student that week and he forgot his poster. So the conversation that followed went somewhat like this...

"Mom, I really am sorry to tell you this, but I am Star Student this week, and we need to make a poster about me."

"WHAT? You are what this week? And you forgot to tell me?"

"MOOOMMM - I didn't know. But she told me today." Oh that makes it so much better...

"Okey-dokey, let's get a move on this. You're going to have do most of this. I'm not going to do it all for you."

So off we went to the closest store to buy posterboard and new markers... as if new crayola markers were going to somehow make this poster-making all that much easier. But hey, if it gets the boy motivated, so be the spending of an extra $2.99 for the new markers.

Thankfully, I'm a scrapbooker and have MANY pictures always on hand... ones that I usually don't need, but keep because I have a weird issue of throwing pictures away. (Anybody else have a problem with this?) So I begin to dig through my stash... searching for anything that shows his hobbies, sports, family, friends... all subjects of interest that were to be included on this poster.

So we start working on it, pasting pictures, labeling them, and writing a list of favorites. Favorite food, favorite sport, favorite song... an hour and a half later I think we actually rigged up a pretty darn good Star Student poster.

And then it occurred to me... we still need to get his Students As Teachers subject ready for this month. So I say to Perry... "how about we do your Students as Teachers presentation on "How To Make a Star Student Poster" and then you can also present your poster that you worked so hard on?" He could talk about his sports and friends and all the favorites he listed.

Wow - I must be brilliant!!

Thankfully Perry also had the same thought - no, not about the presentation - but that I was brilliant! He hugged me and told me he loved my idea and then we proceeded to work on his production - I mean presentation. By george, I think he's got it.

And it worked out wonderfully. He came home the next day and told me that his teacher thought it was great.

I hope this is the last of the one night notices, but I have a feeling it won't be... I know better than that! I'm the mother of a boy.

Labels:


  posted at 7:58 AM
  Comments (1)


1 Comments:
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

What a great poster! And you were very clever (yes - brilliant!) to combine the two projects.

And you're not alone - I just sent some supplies into school on Friday that were due on Wednesday. "But Mom, I forgot..." And no, I'm sure it won't be the last time! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lori

Location: Missouri

I'm a 40-something gal living life in my comfort zone. I'm a wife to Phil and a mother to our 9-year old son, Perry.

Recent Posts

More Than You Need to Know About Me

Friends in Real Life

Books I Read in 2007

Books I'm Reading in 2008

TV Shows I Love To Watch

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:

Miscellaneous

Search