Thursday, August 02, 2007
I've Got 20 Bucks - Who Gets It?
Today I arrived home from work and there was a note on my counter.

Let me back up... when I left for work this morning, my housekeeper was tediously dusting away Perry's trophy shelves. It's the first thing she does when she walks into my house, and the only thing that I know she does because by the time I've talked to her for a few minutes while she's dusting the trophy shelf, we are ready to walk out the door.

When I return from work, my house is clean.

The three toilets bathrooms that I have her scrub are shining.

The four bedrooms are dusted and swept.

The carpets in all rooms are vacuumed with the stripes only going one way. I still can't figure out how she gets them vertically striped.

And my hardwood floors are glowing.

After a price increase just a year ago (after no increase for a couple years), I now pay $95 for this royalty treatment every two weeks.

Walking into a clean home after a long day at work makes me an extremely happy girl. And you know the saying.... if momma's happy, everybody's happy.

But let me get back to the note that was left on my counter. This is what it said...


Hey Lori,
It took me quite a bit longer today. Do you have a problem paying me for the extra time. I guess with it being a month and all, the work you had done made it extra dirty. If you want, just put an extra 20.00 on my next check. Hope that's okay. :) Thanks, Kim


Yep, that's exactly what the note said.

Now, granted I didn't have her come two weeks ago because if you'll remember, we were in design intervention. But let me explain something. I did not neglect my home. I knew she was not going to be cleaning. I did scrub the toilets bathrooms - I gagged my way through them - but I did it. And I vacuumed constantly. With all the work that had been taking place in our home, we had to. The dust was flying everywhere. And when the kitchen was put back together this past weekend, I scrubbed my hardwood floors - they were in desperate need.

In my defense, our house was not that dirty. I think that she had it in her head that it was going to be a filthy pig sty after one month, and that it was going to take her longer. It may have taken her an extra few minues, but I can't imagine that it took her $20 longer.

So I'm posing this question to all my friends out there... including my family lurkers.

Let me know in the comments what you think we should do?

Phil and I are leaving this up to you.

He says just give it to her and let it go.

I'm not one to part with $20 bucks so fast.

What do you think?

Labels: ,


  posted at 7:57 PM
  Comments (9)


9 Comments:
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Rach said...

Oh, tough one. I guess my beef would have been that she should have told you up front. But since she didn't, you are put in the akward place of confronting her about it or just paying her. These days, with my "say what ever is on your mind" attitude, would confront her and just tell her in the future I would like a heads up that there would be extra cleaning and then pay her. But then you also have to think...she does scrub my toilets, so maybe an extra $20 this time isn't so bad.

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I faced a very similar situation with the lady / ladies who used to clean my home. Notice "used" to clean my home?

First, it was something like the request you received....then it got worse and bigger and then it became pushy and presumptious. I finally tired of it and decide my cleaning lady / ladies were not going to cause me this much stress in my life.

So, while it may not be a big deal this time....I am concerned if she gets it this time - THERE WILL BE A NEXT TIME and unless you have them punching a clock, how on earth can you know?

ok - I'll shut up now, but it really touches a nerve with me! Could you go to your boss with such a request and not get ushered out the door?

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to clean homes if I can make $115 for a few hours work. Personally, I think the $95 you pay her is quite sufficient. I have never, in the 7 years I've known you, seen your house even the slightest bit dirty. I know this is partly due to her work, but you keep it up between visits. I would love to see how much she would charge to clean my house!!

I guess you just have to decide if she deserves a tip or not. When I get a particularly good hair cut, I'm inclinded to give a particularly good tip. If I just got the same old hair cut, then I'm not as willing to part with my money.

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I have to agree with Cindy. And considering that you kept up the house in-between her visits (and your house is never dirty)AND that I quite clearly remember you discussing that you had scrubbed your floors, etc. after the work was done (your house is NEVER DIRTY)...I would feel pretty comfortable in letting her know this and asking her to please elaborate on what EXACTLY it was that took her longer and what was so DIRTY that it requires a 25% tip.

Nicely. Of course.

If I was satisfied, I would give her the money. If not, I would show her the door.

Nicely, Of course.

Ok, so really, I am a big wimp and I would probably not show her the door. I would pay her in either case...I just might find a reason why I no longer need her services in the future. And my husband would be the one to call and tell her!

I'm terrible.

Janna

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, that new 2nd place trophy must be big. Guess it took a REALLY long time to dust :-)

If I was otherwise happy with her work and wanted to maintain a good relationship (as employer and friend) I'd probably pay the $20 . . . this time. But if it happened again I would ask her to explain what took longer than usual. And I'd be prepared to find another housekeeper.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Jill said...

I have a housekeeper every 2 weeks as well and pay her $90 for a house about the same size as yours (3 bath / 4 BR). I'm a little torn on this one... she's obviously uncomfortable asking you in person, so that makes me think she might think it's a long shot and thought she'd just "throw it out there" via a note. On the other hand, I also just went through construction at our house and had the housekeeper skip some visits. She has me on a regular schedule, and she did not charge me when it was my decision to not have her come, so she was out the $90. To me, it's worth it to have someone good that cleans my house well and I can trust to come in without me being there. I guess I'd pay it and ask her to let you know in advance in the future if she expects any additional charge.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger PDub said...

I've appreciated all the comments today... and have taken all of them in consideration.

After reading through all of the comments, we have decided to go ahead and pay her the $20. I do feel Cindy that your comment on a $20 tip is a good way to look at it.

And Jill, my husband did agree with you concerning she did not get paid 2 weeks ago, so I'm sure she did feel shorted a bit.

Anonymous - funny comment about the large 2nd place trophy needing an extra dusting! I wish I knew who you were!

Everyone else - you made me laugh - and I loved all the ways you have helped me deal through my feelings on this subject.

Keep 'em coming!

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Well, I see that you already made your decision, but I'll throw in my two cents, anyway. I would probably have given it to her and just considered it a "gift" in my book. If she's normally wonderful and easy to work with and does a great job, it's probably worth it. I must say I'm a teeny bit jealous, because I would love to use the words "my housekeeper." Ah, someday maybe... Of course, I'm fairly positive that anyone who came to clean my house would label it "extra-extra dirty," at the very least. :)

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yep--I would have paid too. I know that construction does make a mess and I think that they charge more per visit the less frequently they come (like if she came every week, she would charge less).

Anyway, if you're happy with her, I'd say you want to keep her happy. If it begins to happen a lot, I'd have a chat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lori

Location: Missouri

I'm a 40-something gal living life in my comfort zone. I'm a wife to Phil and a mother to our 9-year old son, Perry.

Recent Posts

More Than You Need to Know About Me

Friends in Real Life

Books I Read in 2007

Books I'm Reading in 2008

TV Shows I Love To Watch

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:

Miscellaneous

Search