Tuesday, November 28, 2006
Holiday Meme
I found this at Katrina's blog and just had to do it. I thought it would help me get into the holiday spirit (as I'm sitting here watching Charlie Brown's Christmas with Perry). Nothing like a 1965 classic to get you in the Christmas mode.

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot Chocolate.
I've never liked Egg Nog. Ever. But if I had to really choose a hot drink for the holidays it would have to be Starbuck's Gingerbread Latte - that is totally yummy!

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
In our house, Santa just sits them under the tree so that Perry will see them the minute he comes down the stairs (after sitting on the stairs for at least 20 minutes or more waiting for his grandparents to arrive so they don't miss the surprise!)

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
White lights on our trees and red and white lights on our home. The red and clear lights on our house make it not only look holiday festive, but Chiefs festive!

4. Do you hang mistletoe? No - I don't. Odd that I never think about hanging mistletoe at all. Maybe that's something I should start!

5. When do you put your decorations up? Usually the day after Thanksgiving. This year we are doing things a little differently... Christmas in Stages.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? My mother makes the best dressing (stuffing) in the world. That would also be another great question... Do you call it stuffing or dressing? We call it dressing in our family.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Waking up early on Christmas morning and heading to my grandparents home in our pajamas. My grandparents only lived 10 minutes away, but we never opened presents in our own home. Ever. It was always at my grandparents home. Santa always knew to go there and not come to our house! Even as teenagers, my brothers and I would get ourselves up, pull on sweats and head over to my grandparents early in the morning.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I absolutely don't remember at all. Probably from kids at school, but I have no memory of when it was.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Not really anymore. When Phil and I dated and were first married, we would open our gifts to each other on Christmas Eve to make it more special. We would turn on the tree lights only, put on a little Nat King Cole Christmas and just enjoy the time that would be for only us two since we knew that the next day would be completely filled with family and fun. That was our time. We don't do that any more now though (sadly) because we are always buying ONE BIG GIFT for both of us now, instead of the individual surprise gifts.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? I would say that it is very traditional. I reuse many of my bows every year and I just have fun with all of the ornaments. Every year we open up all the boxes and bubble wrap and all the memories come flooding back about each ornament. We have all kinds - Hallmark ones that are symbolic to us each year; ornaments that we buy on vacations; ornaments that I had when I was living in an apartment with my friend Laurie the many years before I was married. It's like going down memory lane with each different ornament.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Love it when I am off work! Hate it if I have to drive in to work.

12. Can you ice skate?
Nope.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? My boyfriend at the time (now my dear husband) bought me beautiful diamond earrings that fit in my second holes in my ears. It was our first Christmas and we had only dated for six months, but that was my absolute favorite present. I never took them off. Ever. Until he got me another larger pair after Perry was born. And they have never come off either. Ever.

14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
I want them to not be so hectic and crazy. I just want to be with Phil and Perry... taking the time to relax and enjoy the love that we have for Christmas and each other.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? My mother's chocolate pie. Her pie crust is from scratch as well as the chocolate filling. It is unbelievably rich and the best dessert I have ever tasted.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
A tradition that Phil continued with me was going to his former in-laws house for Christmas Eve. Even after he and his ex-wife divorced, he was still considered a very important part of their family. After we started dating, he brought me to their house for their annual Christmas Eve dinner and we have continued that tradition now with Perry... it's been over 14 years now and I consider Christmas Eve with "his family" one of my favorite holiday traditions.

17. What tops your tree? An old-fashioned Santa Claus.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving?
Giving... and also finding that perfect gift for giving!

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by The Barenekked Ladies. But my seriously favorite Christmas song would have to be O Holy Night... by just about anybody who sings it.

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?? Yuck - they are too much of a sticky mess to me!

Labels:


  posted at 7:35 PM
  Comments (2)


2 Comments:
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I'm so glad you did this one - I really enjoyed reading all your answers! I especially love your favorite gifts - Phil is such a great guy, and obviously a great gift-giver, too!

(P.S. We call it stuffing here. :)

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I loved reading your answers. I also love gingerbread lattes.

And I'm very confused about the whole dressing/stuffing term. I think that I go back and forth and just never know what to call it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lori

Location: Missouri

I'm a 40-something gal living life in my comfort zone. I'm a wife to Phil and a mother to our 9-year old son, Perry.

Recent Posts

More Than You Need to Know About Me

Friends in Real Life

Books I Read in 2007

Books I'm Reading in 2008

TV Shows I Love To Watch

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:

Miscellaneous

Search